Sunday, January 31, 2010

“Tonight’s gonna be a good good night”


It’s Friday night and you are getting ready to head to a party. You may not know who will be there or how fun the night will turn out; however, one thing that will not be a surprise is the music you will hear. After surveying OU students about the most commonly played songs at college parties and attending parties this weekend to do some research myself, I have assemble a top 10 ten playlist of college party songs.


10. “LoveGame”– Lady GaGa
9. “I Gotta Feeling” – Black Eyed Peas
8. “Shots” – LMFAO and Lil Jon
7. “Forever” – Drake, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Eminem
6. “Single Ladies” (Put a Ring On It) - Beyoncé
5. “Sexy Bitch” - David Guetta (feat. Akon)
4. “Wasted” - Gucci Mane
3. “Party In The U.S.A.” - Miley Cyrus
2. “Bad Romance” – Lady GaGa

And the #1 song is…
1. “TiK ToK” - Ke$ha

People either hate or love the song “TiK ToK” by Ke$ha. So why does it seem to be the #1 song played at parties? Even though many people find this song annoying, they have for sure heard it and maybe even know some of the words. The song “TiK ToK” provides common ground that all party goers can discover. The party scene brings groups of people together to enjoy night life. So it makes perfect sense that the music heard at parties is the type that is well known to a lot of people no matter what actual type of music they prefer outside of the party scene.


Upbeat and energizing commonalities among these songs are appropriate ingredients for a party atmosphere. The lyrics mention parties and drinking, which sort of sets a standard for how parties should be in real life. Listening to these songs at parties transfers that sensation.


The songs we party to are just another way music relates us, giving us something to share. When one of these songs comes on at a party, the catchy beat brings about a harmony among the group, resulting in a good time.

-J-

Song of the Week: “TiK ToK” by Ke$ha (No matter how bad this song may seem)

4 comments:

  1. Truer words were never spoken. It seems that even if the room is full of strangers and one of the songs you mentioned comes on, everyone suddenly becomes friends, dancing, laughing and simply having a good time together. It reminds me of the Madonna song "Music" and the lyrics, "music makes the people come together."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Now the party don't start 'til I walk in..." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your list of the top ten party songs is spot on. Not to sound naive, but I was actually unfamiliar with the artist and song title that you chose for the number one spot. So, I hit play on the youtube window and as soon as "Wake up in the morning feeling like P. Diddy..." blasted through my speakers, i knew exactly what song you were talking about.

    Ps, I'm currently writing this post in the library and even though I only let about 10 seconds of the song play (not realizing that my volume was at full blast) I've since heard several people humming the tune to themselves. I feel like I've done the library-goers around me a favor, or just pissed them off. Regardless, songs catchy as hell and quite worthy of the number one spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaha is hilarious and so true. What is funny is I was also unaware of the artist and song title that you chose but for some reason I know all the words to that song. It is fascinating what a catchy tune will do!

    ReplyDelete