Sunday, January 24, 2010

Save the sound and hear the music


I can still remember the first time my experience with music began, 12 years ago when I received a small child’s keyboard attached to a Christmas book that allowed me to play a few notes. Playing songs with this child’s toy jump started my nine years of piano lessons after I convinced by dad to buy a piano for our home. Throughout these years of strict hourly long, weekly lessons, learning mostly classical pieces, piano began to seem like a chore. Practicing daily and sitting through two hour piano recitals was not my “thing.” It was not until I stopped taking piano lessons around the age of 18 that I realized how music changed my life and how much I would appreciate my teacher nagging on me to count the beats every time I played. Looking back on it now, those lessons were worth every minute of loathing because I am left now with a talent that I would never want to give up. Learning how to play the piano has given me an outlet to express my personality.


Determining how music has positively affected my life has inspired me to write this blog to find out how music plays a role within the Athens community. Playing an instrument is just one way music can sound within us. In a less direct manner, music is evident in many other areas of our lives. This blog will seek to locate these ways to discover how music relates to us all.


-J-

No comments:

Post a Comment